1200 Engine rebuild and other stuff

Alles zum jüngsten Spross im Hause

Moderator: gk

Sir1
Morinisti
Morinisti
Beitrag von Sir1 »

VesaII hat geschrieben: No, but about short comings of his scientific thinking. You did not look his video about wrappings?
If you talk about the exhaust wrapping video, yes, I have seen that one. And as far as I remember, a simple to the point explanation.

I don't see the connection between pressure waves and coolants. I think you have to be more precise with your examples if you want to talk about short comings.

And don't see the benefit of raising engine temperature - on the contrary - But I hope for you that you wont have any damages from that considering all the work you put in it.

Generally, I'm not that convinced about all these miracle products. There's been so many over the years that have come and gone - and most have gone for good because they didn't do any good. If they worked wonders I'm quite sure the industry would use them. And if we for instance look at waterless coolant the ingredients are inexpensive. So cost isn't an argument why the industry isn't using it.
VesaII
Morinisti
Morinisti

Beitrag von VesaII »

Sir1 hat geschrieben:
VesaII hat geschrieben: No, but about short comings of his scientific thinking. You did not look his video about wrappings?
If you talk about the exhaust wrapping video, yes, I have seen that one. And as far as I remember, a simple to the point explanation.
You have right, generally. There is lot of cheating around. But this guy simplifies too much and shouts. For me he is a person who takes advantage of peoples mistrust and aggression.

Engine is a complete system end increasing the gas velocity, which is related to heat, in exhaust can even decrease the power and this guy obviously do not understand it, as he simply say wrappings do not add power. If you read what toplocksverkstad guys say then you understand.

And as i said. No corrosion and no boiling at 102C and no need for chance is reason enough for me to us this juice.
Br,
Vesa
Sir1
Morinisti
Morinisti
Beitrag von Sir1 »

VesaII hat geschrieben:as he simply say wrappings do not add power.
I think you have to watch it again. He says quite the opposite, but also that it's more complicated than that. He actually says exactly the same as stated in the Swedish article.
VesaII
Morinisti
Morinisti

Beitrag von VesaII »

Sir1 hat geschrieben:
VesaII hat geschrieben:as he simply say wrappings do not add power.
I think you have to watch it again. He says quite the opposite, but also that it's more complicated than that. He actually says exactly the same as stated in the Swedish article.
That person does not exist for me ;)
Br,
Vesa
Sir1
Morinisti
Morinisti
Beitrag von Sir1 »

VesaII hat geschrieben: That person does not exist for me ;)
Suit yourself, but have the facts straight.
VesaII
Morinisti
Morinisti

Beitrag von VesaII »

Sir1 hat geschrieben:
VesaII hat geschrieben: That person does not exist for me ;)
Suit yourself, but have the facts straight.
Actually, you havent put any facts but just telling how clever this guy is. You maybe can put all on table now?
Br,
Vesa
Sir1
Morinisti
Morinisti
Beitrag von Sir1 »

No point in having the discussion here. it’s going in a wrong direction. I’m referring to the facts in the second hand statements. You can use the sources however you want. I’m just pointing out what these say. Fact is both sources say the same about heat and pressure waves.
Ebi
Morinisti
Morinisti

Beitrag von Ebi »

Hi,
I don't know what this discussion is all about, but I agree with this point
But I hope for you that you wont have any damages from that considering all the work you put in it
br,
Ebi
ich bin alt - ich darf das
VesaII
Morinisti
Morinisti

Beitrag von VesaII »

Ebi hat geschrieben:Hi,
I don't know what this discussion is all about, but I agree with this point
But I hope for you that you wont have any damages from that considering all the work you put in it
br,
Ebi
No worries Ebi, it is very hard to damage engine with better cooling fluid :)

Find word Evans here: https://www.granpasso.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4160
Zuletzt geändert von VesaII am Donnerstag 15. November 2018, 20:36, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Br,
Vesa
VesaII
Morinisti
Morinisti

Beitrag von VesaII »

Hi all

First start try is done. Did pump oil up to cams, but engine did not start. No smell of gasoline inside of injectors.

Phonic wheel sensor sealing was the cause. It was too thick. Picture did not show any, so i used wrong one. Correct one look like this, but is not mentioned in manual.

Bild
Bild

After this change it makes some successfull ignitions, but does not start. I guess mixture is too lean, cause of new injectors.

I also got current bin out (2337MOR95OL) but it cannot be opened with those XDF:s i got of Ebi.

With Mac GuzziDiag is not telling anything. With Windows GuzziDiag is is working, but gives strange reading and still no usefull bin comes out.

I guess cheap cable is the problem, but it just a guess and better ideas are highly appreciated...

New cable ordered
Zuletzt geändert von VesaII am Mittwoch 11. Juli 2018, 10:16, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Br,
Vesa
VesaII
Morinisti
Morinisti

Beitrag von VesaII »

Oh crap

One more problem. Butterfly valve of injector have a hairline crack.

Can it be welded or where to get spare parts for this? Initial googleing did not gave much... Basically it should be easy to change. Second hand would be great.

Fixed. Zombie metalworks saved me again. Now with silver and hammer :)

Bild
Bild
Bild
Br,
Vesa
VesaII
Morinisti
Morinisti

Beitrag von VesaII »

Tuesday 20 March 2018

Engine started and 2x5km 'ride' done. But some possible problems found and i need to reopen engine once more as i used Hylomar in some parts, which was no good idea. I need to check if blue porridge has gone to oil circulation and clogged some vital nozzles.

I also like to say a few word about compression ratio, as it is something very different Morini gives out. As you know Wahl may deliver higher compression pistons and so current compression ratio need to be checked.

With help of a plexi glas and syringe i filled every empty space with water and result looks like this:

Cyl = 594ml

Combustion chamber =32ml
Piston in cylinder =25ml
Head gasket 0,5mm =4ml

Makes ->
(594+61)/61=10.7

Compression pressure is now 140-150. This is measured with disabled half compression device on exhaust cam. They say 180psi is maximum with street gas

Different compression ratios and combustion chamber volume change.
(594+58)/58=11,2414
(594+53)/53=12,2075

How much compression pressure would these make. I do not know, but i guess we should not go beyond 12 even if we had this kind of tools: https://www.xarin.com/

Draw back with higher comp is loss of low speed driveability. Cons are a few more horses and better economy it AFR and ignition are dyno tuned.

Bild
Bild
Zuletzt geändert von VesaII am Mittwoch 4. März 2020, 21:35, insgesamt 10-mal geändert.
Br,
Vesa
VesaII
Morinisti
Morinisti

Beitrag von VesaII »

Today at last i got time to flush Hylomar pieces out of oil channels. They was not many, but i like to be sure and hope they all came out...

Next step was to get oil up and do compression pressure measurement. Idea was to do this before all electric parts was in place, but only those needed to crank engine. So coils, injectors and fans were not connected. Battery was connected and electricity was turned on. All looked good. Then i pushed start button and nothing happened but all lights vanished from instrument panel / dashboard (M3060000240). It got totally black.

Did remove battery and waited some time and connected battery again and rpm meter began to shake a bit. Then i turned key and shaking stopped but red indicator began to blink. Morini manual do not tell what it is for.

ECU was possible to connect with Ducatidiag and IAW reader.

Bild

Root cause found. Earth cable, the other one, from battery to engine, was not on place on engine side and this happened. Merde.

Hope it is some wire which is burned off and not ecu or dashboard. Wonder if there is wiring diagram available somewhere?

Issue solved.
Zuletzt geändert von VesaII am Sonntag 9. September 2018, 08:11, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Br,
Vesa
VesaII
Morinisti
Morinisti

Beitrag von VesaII »

Hello

Engine rebuild Stage I is nearly done. Dyno day at AJ-Bike was a great success and i will make more detailed description of it later.

People always ask how much hp did you get, but most often it is not very important as we do not turn gas full open very often, but rather enjoy more of midrange torque, which improved here a lot.

On dyno day AJ went through every rpm and every throttle position at least 10 times. Both cylinders tuned individually. Mapping was done for full power or as 'race mapping' as A/F target was 13:1. After this was achieved he did some leaning in those areas where highway cruising is happening.

Today after some 150km trip with 80% of riding in 'economy area' i got consumption 6L/100km. There is some minor issues left, like idle a/f on front cylinder which was not possible to correct, but sporty driveability is now superb. Also economy target was <5l/100km, but i believe it is achievable and same time to have full power race map where it is useful :)

Here some traditional full gas maps attached. Will later publish some more important ones below 'Mappings' thread.

Starting point was Scrambler map, scaled up for new injectors (gray lines) and coloured lines are a result of Dyno Day with measured RPM, not the more impressive one shown on dashboard. Showing higher rpm values is common practice for factories, AJ told me.

Actually i was waiting a bit more hp, but this is what we got on AJ:s conservative dyno (108x15%-20% = 125-130hp) Anyway bike is fast enough for me and usable rpm ranges and throttle positions are much broader than before.

Bild

And Le Chef on bars

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von VesaII am Sonntag 2. Dezember 2018, 11:25, insgesamt 3-mal geändert.
Br,
Vesa
VesaII
Morinisti
Morinisti

Beitrag von VesaII »

It is time to close Stage I engine rebuild and make minor summary

Engine is now running quite well as i finally found reason for jerkiness. The lower hose clamp on front cylinder was not properly in place and throttle body hose was not well seated. Fixing this helped to reduce jerkiness and AFR surely dropped from 17. Still it is not as smooth as KTM V2. This can be by design as phonic wheel is on exhaust cam and not on more stable crank. But i guess smootness can be improved a bit on next dyno run.

Most irritating issue left is head gasket leak. Oil is coming out and pressure is leaking to cooling system. Will remove heads once more and use this http://www.vhtpaint.com/specialty/vht-c ... ket-cement if nothing better is suggested. Head bolts deserve Viton o-rings too, just in case. Oil filter cover got a thicker o-ring (3,5mm) as original was not enough.

List can grow in future, but at the moment i trust these products: DLC coating, Wahl pistons, modified Bosch injectors, Brisk (AOR10LGS) sparkplugs and Evans which is obviously stuff creating big emotions. But for me it is very simple:

It is not corrosive
It does not ever boil and create always potentially harmfull pressure in system.
In other words great stuff as people at Granpasso forum know:
https://www.granpasso.eu/forum/viewtopi ... 1de#p51112

Pictures below show how differently each injector brand work. Visible is area cleaned up by fuel. In case of Bosch big part of fuel does not touch walls as with Weber most of it goes toward wall. On street Weber injectors with Scrambler mapping feels a bit lazy compared to Bosch with dynoed mapping.

Bild
Bild

One modified Bosch injector in between original Webers. Picture explains quite well why injection footprints look as they do.
Bild

For those who are interested in TBC coating. This is good article to begin: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 681400088X

And please share your dyno experiences: http://www.ital-web.de/forum/viewforum.php?f=48

So, stage I is basically done but removing of heads creates a possibility and urge to continue with development even further. I have already exchanged a few words with Erland at Topplocksverkstan. He has scientific approach on matter of head redesign which sure is a useful ingredient when blended with Italian passion http://www.topplocksverkstan.se/insuglangder.html

And i like to thank nice people like Ebi, Oliver and Gerhard who have helped me. Thank you very much!

And thanks all other for reading.
Zuletzt geändert von VesaII am Samstag 15. Dezember 2018, 19:25, insgesamt 26-mal geändert.
Br,
Vesa
Antworten

Zurück zu „9 1/2 und 1200 Sport“